Friday, December 11, 2009

Vinegar by Any Other Name . . .


Alas, my vinegar has arrived. No, this is not your mother's vinegar. This is an amazing concoction that defies all description, nevertheless, I will do my best. While spending my homework weekend in Seattle, I visited Pikes Place Market a couple of times, and happened to taste some vinegar that blew my socks off.

This is not the type of vinegar you pour into a cobbler to give it that edgy sweet flavor nobody can put their finger on, nor that savory "can't get enough" sesame chicken, nor is it the type of vinegar you pour into sugar cookies to make them so soft they almost melt in your mouth - no, this is like liquid gold. It is the consistency of blood, not fluid and thin like water, and it tastes oh, so amazing! This is a fig, barrel-aged vinegar made in Nevada by Bistro Blends. I could not bring one home due to the glass bottle and something about carrying liquids on a plane, but here it is, cuddled up in my welcoming kitchen! Oh, and if you are thinking, "Really, you would pay that much for vinegar?" Just taste it, and you would, too.


Oh, and on a strange little side note, I finally found a substitute for my usual Alta Dena whipped cream cheese that is only available at one store in the state. Not only is it available at my local Walmart, it is also about four dollars cheaper than the Alta Dena! Hors d'oeuvres, here we come!

No comments:

Post a Comment