Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Yippee-Yi-Yo, Salmon Patties!

The reason I don't like recipes is because of conformity. Take for example, the Salmon Patty. I usually add onion, celery, eggs, and salmon, but I was out of celery this round. If you reject a recipe because of a single ingredient, something is very wrong. You have to learn to look for key ingredients: Eggs and salmon. Everything else is optional. Want to add oatmeal? Great! Want to leave out the onion, GREAT! Breadcrumbs? Take 'em or leave 'em! Stay tuned for a funny story at the end.

This round, I added:
Finely shredded carrots (1 cupish?) and chopped onions (1/2-3/4 cupish?)
2 cans salmon
Mash up the salmon (see funny story below)
Throw in veggies and 2 eggs and mix:
Smoosh into patties (squeeze out most excess liquid so it sticks together better)
Cook on medium for 1-2 minutes on each side, rotating twice. When you flip them the first time they may fall apart if there is too much liquid in them. No worries. Smoosh back together and keep cooking. It will stick together the next time you flip them.

Funny Story:
As a child (6ish) I visited my grandma, the one whose photo is on Whose-its-and-What's-its. She made me salmon patties one day. I thanked her for including the nuts because I really liked the nuts in them. She looked at me, a bit confused. "Nuts?"

I then told her I thought they were nuts, you know, those crunchy things!

Some people remove the skin and bones from canned salmon before using it, but apparently, my family never did, and I totally loved them! Still do!

No comments:

Post a Comment